I read somewhere that Americans have become unhealthier statistically because of the recession. WTF??

You don't need money to exercise! I'm going to try and show that you can get in to shape without spending money - use your environment creatively and you can succeed in attaining better health. My dad is a retired coach and P.E. teacher, and much to his chagrin I've been a lazy ass my whole life. Maybe I can finally put his knowledge to good use, as well as shape up and make him proud!

If you have a creative idea to share be sure to let me know ! I'll post the best photos/videos/links here.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Off-Road Running

So not unlike the pine air fresheners in Repo Man, my life is often linked by the "coincidence chain".  Its no secret that racers of all disciplines are also usually incredibly fit - even race car drivers are athletes.  I met Danica Patrick last week and she's all muscle.  Tiny, but still could kick your ass!  Very inspiring (and she's HOT! in person!!)  Point being they work out.  Its unrealistic to think just riding your dirt bike is enough.  To test the theory I rode a dirt bike every day for a year - and in the end still sported man tits.  Not enough.  So I'm running now.  Its a very efficient way to exercise time-wise.  And Dirt Rider has a great article this month on off-road running, which is exactly what I am doing.  Running on the varied and soft terrains gets you tired faster and works more muscle groups than plodding along the sidewalk.  Plus, its like a nature hike, only faster and more challenging (read 'interesting').  Now I call it 'feeding the hawk', as a few times now I've spooked up a meal for the hawk who has learned I might flush a meal out of the bushes for him, so he shadows me thru his territory.  Which seems to work out for him!  Watching a hawk snatch up a meal is way cooler than dodging panhandlers at the local gas station, and a great distraction - as honestly I am not a big fan of exercise.  Really was hoping the 'ride a dirt bike every day' would do it.... or better yet, just watching helmet cam vids.  Nope.  Gotta get off your ass if you want the payoff...

No comments:

Post a Comment