I read somewhere that Americans have become unhealthier statistically because of the recession. WTF??

You don't need money to exercise! I'm going to try and show that you can get in to shape without spending money - use your environment creatively and you can succeed in attaining better health. My dad is a retired coach and P.E. teacher, and much to his chagrin I've been a lazy ass my whole life. Maybe I can finally put his knowledge to good use, as well as shape up and make him proud!

If you have a creative idea to share be sure to let me know ! I'll post the best photos/videos/links here.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Evertyhing in Moderation


Its summertime, and that means its time to soak up some rays.  I've been very tuned in to the dangers of sun-damage to the skin ever since I took a class in cancer when in University.  We had a guest doctor come in, who was as white as a sheet.  He said he avoided going outside, especially from eleven to two each day, when the sun's rays are the strongest.  His logic was, as a physician specializing in skin cancer, he cut off a nose or ear every week, and was hoping to avoid the same fate for himself.  Well as you can imagine, that lesson hit home with me.  Because sun damage is cumulative, irreversible, and permanent.  You basically cook your skin's DNA, which is what causes cancer.  However, I always felt that anything in extreme, including hiding from the sun, was way more unhealthy than anything in 'moderation'.  I still stick to this belief, and a recent article on the benefits of sun tanning reinforced it.  Since you can find research for both sides - that is some studies link sunscreen use to cancers while others blame the sun for all kinds of evil, I found myself always trying to find the middle ground.  It always struck me as kind of dumb to inhibit your natural tanning ability with sunscreen, so generally I let myself get some rays sans-protection, but only for short periods of time.  I have to believe that my tanning cells busy injection of melalin in my pasty-white Euro skin is the better defense than some random cream that my or may not in itself cause cancer.  But, at the same time, sun exposure no doubt has a down side.  I try and get a nice bronze color going, and then its mostly moot- even if I forget sunscreen I rarely burn.  But be smart - temper your exposure but don't be a sun-phobe - that glowing orb is the reason life exists here on earth and after ten million years I think your body can take it, in fact, it loves it!  I hope so, anyway.  I don't see me moving to Seattle or anywhere less sunny for a long time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment